Home office in times of Covid-19
The university is in minimum presence mode. The top priority is to protect the health of all persons.
Employees University of Bern
The following rules have applied since 14 January 2021:
- Home office is compulsory everywhere where it is possible and can be implemented with reasonable effort.
- Masks are compulsory on the entire premises of the University of Bern. This applies to the entire perimeter of the institution, i.e. not only the buildings but also their outdoor areas.
- Further training and meetings must be conducted digitally.
Researchers University of Bern
All work that does not by necessity have to be carried out on site is to be done from home. Research meetings, data sessions, etc. are always to be held virtually.
Special situation for young researchers
The effects of the corona crisis on young people are challenging in various ways and in many cases also burdensome. The university management asks superiors and managers to regularly exchange information with young researchers and to support them as much as possible.
In particular, it should be avoided that ongoing qualification work (doctorates, habilitations) cannot be completed. Particular attention should be paid to the fact that persons with supervision obligations or other aggravating constellations have been or are in some cases severely restricted in their research and publication activities.
The university management will accept delays in research projects due to Covid-19 as a reason for extending employment contracts beyond the maximum period of employment, if this has been agreed with the supervisors and the institutes involved and can sufficiently be demonstrated.
- Human Resources Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coordination Office for the Promotion of Young Researchers: email@example.com
- University of Bern Intermediate Staff Association (MVUB): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office for Gender Equality: email@example.com
Students University of Bern
The spring semester 2021 will be started by distance learning. Excluded from this regulation are courses and teaching activities where presence is mandatory (internships or laboratory).
- The libraries have been closed since 18 January until further notice. Borrowing is still possible: University Library: Corona
- University sport is resuming its programme too. In addition, the sports facilities are open again. You can find all information here: Coronavirus: Information on university sports
- All information about teaching and examinations can be found here: Coronavirus - Information about teaching
Contact points at University of Bern
- Risk Management Unit: Coordination of Uni-specific questions on the Corona situation: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personnel department: for personnel law questions about home office, contractual relationships etc.: email@example.com.
- IT services (telephone 08:30-11:00 and 14:00-16:00):
- For questions on gender equality: firstname.lastname@example.org